Close this search box.

Employment Based Permanent Residency (EB)

Employment Based Permanent Residency (EB)

Employment Based Permanent Residency (EB)

If you are looking for US immigration, there are many ways to settle in United States like through getting job offer letter, sponsored by family or relative, investment, buying business in US etc. But the very famous program is settling in US by job or employment-based visa. The Employment based program is divided into five categories. Approximately 140,000 immigrant visas are available each year for newcomers who seek to immigrate based on their job skills. If you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience and are otherwise eligible, you may be able to live permanently in the US. These Green Card applications are called Employment-Based Visa’s also known as EB Visas and usually involve filing an I-140 application to the Service Centre located in the jurisdiction of the place of employment.


Types of Employment-Based visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

  • Persons with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
  • Outstanding professors and researchers
  • Multinational managers or executives.

EB-2: Professionals and Persons of Exceptional Ability

  • Professionals holding an advanced degree
  • Persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business.

EB-3: Skilled and Unskilled Workers and Professionals

  • Skilled workers
  • Professionals
  • Unskilled workers

EB-4: Certain Special Immigrants

  • Ministers of religion
  • Certain Retired International Organization Employees
  • Persons Recruited Outside of the United States Who Have Served or are Enlisted to Serve in the U.S. Armed Forces

EB-5: Immigrant Investors

This visa category is for capital investment by foreign investors in new commercial enterprises in the United States which provide U.S. job creation. Learn more about the EB-5 visa process here.

Step by Step Process to Apply for Employment based Program

Labour certification Approval: The sponsoring employer has to get a labour certification approval from the Department of Labour which certifies that they could not found qualified U.S. workers to do the job that the immigrant will be hired for.

Petition with USCIS: after getting the labour approval certification, the employer then needs to file Form I-140, the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the appropriate employment-based preference category.

Petition to NVC: Once the petition is approved by USCIS, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), who will begin pre-processing the applicant’s case.

Apply for Green Card: Persons with extraordinary abilities in the Employment First preference category are able to file their own petitions.) If the applicant is already in the U.S., he or she could apply for an Adjustment of Status. Otherwise, the applicant would go through the process of getting a visa through an embassy or consulate.   

Important Links

Need Help?

Not sure exactly what You are looking for or just want clarification? We’d be happy to chat with you and clear things up for you. Anytime.
Call Now