7235 – Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters fabricate, assemble, fit and install steel or other metal components for buildings, bridges, tanks, towers, boilers, pressure vessels and other similar structures and products. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants and by heavy machinery manufacturing and shipbuilding companies.
- Metal fabricator
- Platework fitter
- Shipfitter apprentice
- Steel fabricator
- Structural steel fitter
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints, determine the materials required, and plan the sequence of tasks to cut metal most efficiently
- Construct patterns and templates as guides for layouts
- Lay out reference points and patterns on heavy metal according to component specifications
- Rig, hoist and move materials to storage areas or within worksite
- Assemble and fit metal sections and plates to form complete units or subunits using tack welding, bolting, riveting or other methods
- Set up and operate various heavy-duty metal-working machines such as brake presses, shears, cutting torches, grinders and drills, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill or otherwise form heavy-metal components
- Install fabricated components in final product.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in structural steel and platework fabrication is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for metal fabricators (fitters) is available, but voluntary, in all provinces.
- Trade certification for marine technicians is available, but voluntary, in Nova Scotia and British Columbia.
- Trade certification for boiler and related equipment assemblers and structural metal fabricators (non-construction) is available, but voluntary, in Quebec.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified metal fabricators (fitters) upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Some structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters may also be certified as skilled welders.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Boilermakers (7234)
- Metalworking and forging machine operators (9416)
- Structural steel erectors (in 7236 Ironworkers)
- Supervisors of structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters (in 7201 Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations)
- Welders and related machine operators (7237) Follow me