6512 – Bartenders
Bartenders mix and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, bars, taverns, private clubs, banquet halls and other licensed establishments. Supervisors of bartenders are included in this unit group.
- Bar attendant
- Bar steward
- Head bartender
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Take beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons
- Mix liquor, soft drinks, water and other ingredients to prepare cocktails and other drinks
- Prepare mixed drinks, wine, draft or bottled beer and non-alcoholic beverages for food and beverage servers or serve directly to patrons
- Collect payment for beverages and record sales
- Maintain inventory and control of bar stock and order supplies
- Clean bar area and wash glassware
- Ensure compliance with provincial/territorial liquor legislation and regulations
- May train and supervise other bartenders and bar staff
- May hire and dismiss staff.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Completion of college or other program in bartending or completion of courses in mixing drinks is usually required.
- Responsible beverage service certification may be required.
Progression to managerial positions in food and beverage service is possible with experience.
- Bar managers (in 0631 Restaurant and food service managers)
- Food and beverage servers (6513)