2148 – Other professional engineers, n.e.c.

2148 – Other professional engineers, n.e.c.

Other professional engineers include agricultural and bio-resource engineers, biomedical engineers, engineering physicists and engineering scientists, marine and naval engineers, textile engineers and other specialized engineering occupations.


Example titles

  • Agricultural engineer
  • Biomedical engineer
  • Bioresource engineer
  • Engineering physicist
  • Engineering scientist
  • Food processing engineer
  • Marine engineer
  • Naval architect
  • Textile engineer

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

  • Agricultural and bio-resource engineers

    • Design and develop machinery, structures, equipment and systems related to agriculture and food processing.

    Biomedical engineers

    • Design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment and procedures; develop devices to assist persons with disabilities; advise hospital administrators on planning, acquisition and use of medical equipment; and modify and install or supervise installation of equipment.

    Engineering physicists and engineering scientists

    • Conduct research, develop processes, programs and equipment to expand fundamental knowledge in the applied sciences and engineering and to support advanced engineering and scientific applications.

    Marine and naval engineers

    • Design and develop marine vessels and floating structures and associated marine power plants, propulsion systems and related systems and equipment and oversee the building, maintenance and repair of vessels and marine systems.

    Textile engineers

    • Design and develop processes, equipment and procedures for the production of fibres, yarns and textiles.

Employment requirements

  • A bachelor's degree in an appropriate engineering discipline is required.
  • A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports, and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.

Additional Information

  • There is limited mobility between the engineering specializations included in this unit group.
  • Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
  • Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.


  • Biochemical and biotechnical engineers (in 2134 Chemical engineers)
  • Engineering managers (0211)
  • Marine engineer officers – water transport (in 2274 Engineer officers, water transport)
  • Physicists (in 2111 Physicists and astronomers)

Are you interested in immigrating to Canada, but not sure how to do it? Whether you want to make Canada your temporary or permanent home, it is important to get access to the most up-to-date information. World Overseas Immigration provide you best guidance, if you have any query you can fill the side bar form or you can call us on 011-41068639 or just mail us your query at query@worldoverseasimmigration.com

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Important Links

    Need Help?

    Not sure exactly what You are looking for or just want clarification? We’d be happy to chat with you and clear things up for you. Anytime.
    Call Now