1251 – Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
Court reporters record and transcribe verbatim the proceedings of courts, legislative assemblies and committees, and prepare transcripts for use by judges, tribunals and quasi-judicial panels. They are employed by courts of law, provincial and federal legislative assemblies and committees, or they may be self-employed. Medical transcriptionists record, transcribe and edit dictation by physicians and other health care providers, surgical proceedings, health-related reports and other medical documentation. They are employed by hospitals, medical clinics and doctors’ offices, or they may be self-employed. Closed captioners and other transcriptionists are included in this unit group.
- Closed captioner
- Court reporter
- Hansard reporter
- Medical transcriptionist
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Record verbatim proceedings of courtroom using electronic stenograph machine or stenomask
- Respond to requests during court sessions to read back verbatim evidence
- Transcribe recorded proceedings in accordance with established formats
- Verify accuracy of transcripts by checking copy against original record of proceedings and accuracy of rulings by checking with judge
- Research and locate quotes to ensure accuracy
- Respond to requests for transcripts ordered by judges, lawyers or the public
- File and store shorthand notes of court session.
- Transcribe recorded dictation in accordance with established formats or written documentation from medical reports, correspondence, health records and patient information
- Proofread work for typographical and grammatical errors
- Edit transcripts for missing or incorrect content and formatting.
- Court reporters require completion of secondary school.
- Completion of a college or other program in court reporting is usually required and the Chartered Shorthand Reporter (CSR) certificate may be required for court reporters.
- Medical transcriptionists require completion of secondary school.
- Completion of a recognized medical transcription program is usually required and the Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) certificate may be required for medical transcriptors.
- There is some mobility between occupations in this unit group and other occupations requiring similar knowledge of legal or medical terminology, such as legal or medical administrative positions.
- Legal administrative assistants (1242)
- Medical administrative assistants (1243)
World Overseas Immigration provide you best guidance for your immigration. If you have any query you can fill the side bar form or you can call us on +919810366117 or +918448490107 or just mail us your query at email@example.com