What is a Canada Open work Permit?
Canada open work permit is a work permit Because it is not job-specific, this visa is issued to the eligible foreign individuals to work in Canada for a specific time period or minimum 2 years. Canada open work permit is designed for the foreign spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers and foreign students, who themselves want to work in Canada, will need an open work permit.An open work permit is neither employer nor not job-specific, therefore it allows the holder to work for almost any Canadian employer, without first having to obtain a confirmed offer of employment.The visa is not job-specific, so applicants are required to meet similar requirements as applicants for other types as below.
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada; or
- Proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee.
Who is eligible to apply for Canada Open work Permit?
Candidate can be eligible for an open work permit if:
- An International student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
- Candidate is a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
- Candidate is having an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
- Candidate has already applied for permanent residence in Canada and the PR application is in process as under.
- The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- A Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Candidate is a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
- Candidate is the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
- Candidate is the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
- Candidate is a Temporary Resident Permit holder
- Candidate is a young worker participating in special programs
Provincial Nominee Program
Canada occupation list
Canada Points Calculator
Types of open work permits
There are two types of open work permits:
- Unrestricted (allowing foreign nationals to work in any occupation and location)
- Restricted (restricting the occupation or the location)
Open Work Permit Step by Step process
- Step 1: Log into IRCC online and create profile
- Step 2: Click on ‘Apply for work permit.
- Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation
- Step 4: Pay the application fee
What is the Processing Fee for Canada Open Work Permit?
|Type of Application||Processing Time (Paper Application)||Processing Time (Online Application)||Visa Fee|
|Work Permit (new employer)||53 days||10 days||155 CAD|
|Work Permit (same employer)||60 days||10 days||155 CAD|