5133 – Musicians and singers
Musicians and singers perform with orchestras, choirs, opera companies and popular bands in establishments such as concert halls, lounges and theatres and in film, television and recording studios. This unit group also includes music teachers who usually teach in conservatories, academies and private homes.
- Church organist
- Guitar player
- Music teacher – musicians
- Opera singer
- Recording artist
- Rock singer
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Play one or more instruments as soloists or as members of a musical group before audiences or for recording purposes.
- Sing musical arrangements as soloists or as members of vocal groups before audiences or for recording purposes.
Teachers of music or voice
- Teach technique, interpretation and music theory to students through private or group lessons.
Musicians and singers usually specialize in specific genres of music such as classical, country, ethnic, jazz, opera or popular music.
- Musical training from a university or college or through private instruction is usually required.
- Members of orchestras and other professional classical musicians and singers usually require a university degree in music.
- Musical talent and ability, as demonstrated during an audition, are important hiring criteria.
- Membership in a guild or union related to the occupation or type of performance may be required.