4012 – Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

4012 – Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.

Example titles

  • College laboratory assistant
  • College teaching assistant
  • Graduate assistant – university
  • Post-secondary research assistant
  • University research assistant


  • Tutor – post-secondary teaching assistant

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

Post-secondary teaching assistants

  • Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
  • Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
  • Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
  • Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.

Research assistants

  • Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
  • Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.

Employment requirements

  • Enrollment in, or completion of, a university or college program is required.


  • Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants (4413)
  • Other instructors (4216)

Free Immigration Assessment

Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Important Links

    Need Help?

    Not sure exactly what You are looking for or just want clarification? We’d be happy to chat with you and clear things up for you. Anytime.
    Call Now